[Sca-cooks] food question

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon May 20 17:48:22 PDT 2002

> I know bell peppers are new world, as are capsicums (hot peppers) - not sure
> about cucumbers.

Cucumbers are old world.

> Well, you know that "traditional" (and nasty) green bean casserole that so
> many people (including my mother-in-law) think is obligatory for
> Thanksgiving/Christmas?  It was a recipe pushed by Betty Crocker or one of
> the other recipe companies in the 50's, and it's been "traditional" for
> years, so it doesn't have to be very long.

The coolwhip-marshmallow-nuts-fruit cocktail salad is also 'traditional'
at certain types of gatherings (just for fun, this year my mom and I made
it with Kraft 'BunnyMallows' for Easter.) Anything your grandma served
(i.e. 2 generations) and most things your mom served (1 generation) is
traditional.

And I don't get enough green-bean casserole. I don't care what anybody
says, casseroles are maddening for one person. (Except armored turnips,
which is a new traditional holiday food in my family. :) )

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."