[Sca-cooks] Cheese & coolers

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Tue May 21 06:23:11 PDT 2002

Rosine whined:
>    Speaking of coolers.... has anyone found a truly useable method of
storing cheese in a cooler? Because we haven't found a Ziplock bag that
didn't leak or a tupperware container that everyone could successfully seal,
and there's nothing quite so disheartening as wet and runny cheese.<

    This is where a block of ice INSIDE a gallon container (old milk  or
juice jug) is just great for the cooler.  The oj juice jugs are much
sturdier than milk jugs BTW.  Freeze water in jugs, then place in cooler
with your items that only need to be kept cool: cheese, eggs, deli meats,
etc.  My experience has this working well for frozen things as well when you
need to keep food frozen while traveling, but also want them to thaw for
supper.   Then you have water to drink!  Coming from a place with VERY PURE
water, this is wonderful!

    Caointiarn,  at home at the "source" of Big Spring Water