Drive up ATM's OT, OOP (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Languages)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue May 21 09:14:47 PDT 2002

>I like the drive-up ATMs that are equipped with vocal prompts and braille
>keypads.  I suspect it's a government requirement.

Well, they must make ATM's accessible to folks with visual
impairments.  There really isn't a huge reason to make two different
models, when one works just as well.  Economics would dictate, I think,
that one style is cheaper to make than two styles.  Hence, while having
drive up ATM's with braille doesn't necessarily make sense, the ones for
the walking public does.  They use the same machines is all...

I should point out that many of my blind friends don't use the ATM's
themselves, given that the buttons are in braille, but the vast majority of
ATM's do not offer a way to read what is actually on the screen...

I should also point out that an acquaintance of mine cannot see or read
"print", and uses braille to read, however can, and does,
drive.  Legally.  And well!  Somewhat scary to ride with her, but after the
first little bit, it's ok.  It has to do with which part of the eye can see
and some other weird stuff...

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle