[Sca-cooks] Camp chores was Lackeys and...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed May 22 06:41:06 PDT 2002

>Olwen the Odd <olwentheodd at hotmail.com> [2002.05.22] wrote:
> > A few folks only want to clean, others
> > only like to cook, mostly it's a one of each.
>
>In our mini-household (6 to 10 people) we have one (or occationally two)
>cook. Basic rules is that the cook does not gather firewood, get water
>or do dishes. Everybody chips in equally for all food related costs. All
>pots, pans and feastgear is included in the same washup (the non-cooking
>tasks are rotated more or less loosely among the others). As soon as all
>cooking is done a pot with water is hung over the last of the fire,
>making hot water for the dishes.
>
>The Rule came about after I a few times in the early years had to get
>water so that I could wash the pots from the last meal, then gather
>firewood and finally cook dinner.  Next time I stipulated the Rule, and
>it has worked fine since then. It works out pretty well; I get too cook
>over an open fire, and they get good food at a pretty reasonable price,
>for not much work.
>
>Currently I'm trying to figure out if we are going to far on the
>infrastructure side of things. Anyone who have seen any documentation of
>how much a smaller group of more normal people (i.e. not royal level,
>more middle class) lugged around? It's cool to be able to produce
>anything that is not dependant of an oven, but still...
>
>UlfR
>  blessed by campsites where 5 minutes walk and 10 minutes of work will
>  yield firewood for a days cooking.

Well, in our camp we have between 30 and 45 people.  Sometimes we have the
Crown of Artemesia stay with us.  We have a huge kitchen area complete with
a pig cooker (a big ol heating oil drum 500 gallons I think), three or four
ring burners, a propane griddle/stove, tabletop butaine burners, etc.  Since
many of the household are also in the Bright Hills Cooks Guild, we have a
regular dog and pony show we are used to carting around with us.
Olwen