[Sca-cooks] 'Coons and chickens...

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 08:58:20 PDT 2002

--- Aurore Gaudin <Aurore at hot.rr.com> wrote:
> --
> Depending on how good you at shooting, may have
> another suggestion.  My Mom just walk in and I was
> telling her about your message and I knew she has
> had problems with coons and possums in her coop too.
>  So I asked how she dealt with it.  .357 and a bowl
> mixed with yolk and whites from eggs and toxic
> anti-freeze.  Just leave it out at night and bring
> it in the morning.  Coons disappeared.  I know, not
> the nicest way to deal with them but you got to do
> what you got to do.  Coons was ripping heads off the
> chickens and leaving the bodies and the area was
> known for rabies, so getting rid of a problem before
> it got out of hand.  Hope this helps, Aurore

Well, it's a good suggestion, but unworkable for a
couple of reasons.

#1. My cats are outside. I'd like to keep them around.

#2. While I will kill, because I butcher, two things I
will not do is either bludgeon something to death, or
poison it. I'm sorry, but both those methods just turn
my stomach. I can cut throats, wring necks, shoot, or
almost anything else, but poisoning and bludgeoning
are beyond the pale. I don't even particularly like
killing to butcher, but I do it as part of my
responsibility, to accept responsibility for the food
I eat. If I can't do it any more, I'll become a
vegetarian.

I was thinking of the shotgun because it's just a wee
20 guage- marginally quieter that borrowing Rob and
Margali's .44 Mag, at 3 AM....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,