[Sca-cooks] Period cooking and camping

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed May 22 10:38:17 PDT 2002

At 09:31 AM 5/22/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Out of curiosity how many people at camping events try to do only period
>recipes?  Maybe only breakfast and dinner, or only dinner?

Well, we've had the "Is breakfast period?" conversation before...

I try. We usually have a multi-grain pottage or pain perdu, with bacon for
breakfast. (And there WILL be tea!). Lunch is usually on the fly- we have
hand-held calzone-like things filled with rice, meat, and dried fruit,
and/or there's a tray of sliced cheese, salami, bread and fruit. There's
usually sekanjabin or lemonade.

Dinner- definitely period food. I'm pretty hard and fast about that.

>How many folks try for only period cooking methods? (with the exception of
>the cooler which I feel is mostly a safety issue today)

I really admire those who cook over fire- but I have asthma, and being sick
at an event is not my idea of a good time. I use a coleman stove, and I
have a bake oven that goes with. Occasionally I grill over charcoal, but I
have to be careful to stay upwind.

>Does anyone try for a region of cooking and stick to it for an entire event,
>say only English cooking or only Mediteranean cooking?

Not really, though much of our food tends to be English because I do most
of my work out of COI or 2 15th c.CB. Tend to get mediterranean when it's
blessed hot though- and it does that about twice a year ;-D)

>I'm not nearly as worried about keeping things cool as many of you seem to
>be, I'm more worried about breaking the ice on the water bucket in the
>morning <g> so good hot foods work best for breakfast and dinner, I'm pretty
>much figuring on sandwich meals for lunch but all ideas are welcome.

Our consideration here (Southern An Tir) seem to be for the 45 degrees and
raining all weekend (hypothermia central) or 80's and up in the day,
(sunburn galore because folks are too dumb to use sunscreeen) and then damn
cold at night. Sorry, but hot cocoa is like gold around here...

>Inquiring mind wants to know!

Good questions!