[Sca-cooks] Period spice questions

AnnaMarie wolfsong at ida.net
Wed May 22 10:55:18 PDT 2002

Greetings:

How was spice purchased by the average household in period?  whole only,
pre-ground, both?

I've got a mundane herb and spice shop and am teaching a spice class at an
upcoming event but this question seems to be a difficult one.  I know that
grinding things with a coffee mill is wonderful and works; but a morter and
pestle is a bit slow, especially with some things, galingale comes to mind.
Did a period spicer pre-grind packets for their clients, I would think a
larger more efficient morter and pestle would make short work of this,
rather than my dinky marble one or medium wood one.

A bit OT here, does anyone know a good source for wholesale culinary
rosewater, orange water or long pepper?  I've been able to find most
everything else but am coming up cold on these items for the shop.

Thanks again!

Kristianne
Wolf Song Day Spa & Herb Shop