Languages (was Re: [Sca-cooks] globetrotting)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed May 22 10:38:22 PDT 2002

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:

>     But then there was this girl I knew in college (just a wonton short of a
> pu-pu platter) who was SO into Tolkein that she was utterly fluent in
> Sinadarin (and its many variants). She would mutter in elvish, make obscure
> elvish puns (then laugh at her own cleverness while we simply looked at her
> as though she had suddenly developed a third eye), scrawl Sindarin slogans
> on the wall . . . a premature perv elf fancier. We weren't quite sure what
> planet she was from, but we were all quite sure we hadn't yet established
> diplomatic relations.

I knew a guy like that in our D&D group when I was a teenager.  He went on to
become a linguistics professor as well as head the Klingon Language Institute.
Sometimes you can harness the weird energy!

I took 2nd year Hebrew and 1st year French at the same time.  My crossover
mistakes were pretty peculiar.

Selene, Caid