Languages (was Re: [Sca-cooks] globetrotting)

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Sun May 19 22:07:27 PDT 2002

On 5/19/02 3:31 PM, "Siegfried Heydrich" <baronsig at peganet.com>  sat on a
tribble, which squeaked:

>   But then there was this girl I knew in college (just a wonton short of a
> pu-pu platter) who was SO into Tolkein that she was utterly fluent in
> Sinadarin (and its many variants). She would mutter in elvish, make obscure
> elvish puns (then laugh at her own cleverness while we simply looked at her
> as though she had suddenly developed a third eye), scrawl Sindarin slogans
> on the wall . . . a premature perv elf fancier. We weren't quite sure what
> planet she was from, but we were all quite sure we hadn't yet established
> diplomatic relations. And this was before any of us had ever heard of the
> SCA. Gawd, she's probably a Laurel by now.

    Well, there *is* a Laurel, (now inactive), in Caid who is quite fluent
in the languages of Middle Earth.    From what I understand, she was even
used as a source for Elvish language names by the heralds, back when it was
considered acceptable.    (However, her Laurel was listed as being in
calligraphy/illumination.)

    That person is Mistress Atanielle Unesse, who, under her old mundane
name Ruth Noel, wrote "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth", and "
The Mythology of Middle-Earth"

    - Padraig o Connell, (OP Trivia Buff)

"Bother,"saidPoohwhenhisspacebarrefusedtowork.