[Sca-cooks] Food Origins

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed May 22 17:42:42 PDT 2002

Oh, yes, this is always a good site.  I've now included: cress, cauliflower
(to M.E./Medit.), pine nuts, poppy oil (never heard of that in period, but
he cites it as Flanders and Germany's main cooking oil), broadbean, haricot,
hairy vetch, sweet vetch, capers, and several cheeses.  He says never, never
use artichokes, but I know there are recipes for them.
Added Cranberries to the New World list.
Think I'll start a new category as well:
Foods Not Known In Period
Margarine, shortening, ice cream, iceberg lettuce?, rhubarb...