[Sca-cooks] Food Origins

Daniel Myers doc at bookofrefreshments.com
Wed May 22 21:06:57 PDT 2002

Quoted from Nambeanntan at aol.com - 5/22/02, 11:17 PM -0400:
>--
>In a message dated 5/22/2002 8:56:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>doc at bookofrefreshments.com writes:
>

>> If you're going to make an authentic medieval broccoli dish then I'd
>> suggest using kale since it's probably a lot closer to what they would have
>> growing in their gardens - especially if it was anything like that
>> scraggly, waste of chlorophyl, heirloom variety I grew in my garden.
>>

>Daniel, Was what you grew broccoli rape?  That grows looking much like a weed
>with only a few florets on a stalk.

I don't think so.  The seeds were commercially produced by a company that
specializes in "heirloom varieties".  They were clearly labeled as
broccoli, but when I looked again at the package there was something buried
within the description that mentioned it was best suited for use as a salad
green.  Teh stalks were thinner than a pencil and had more of a cluster of
flowers at the top than a floret (something part way between a broccoli
floret and mustard flowers).  If they weren't growing exactly where they
should in neat, evenly spaced rows I would have assumed they were mutant
mustard plants that had snuck in to the garden.