[Sca-cooks] Period cooking and camping

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed May 22 23:51:32 PDT 2002

MD/Marged asked:
> This brings up a point we miss a lot in historic foodways - what foods
> were available at what time of year. Fresh pork is not a summer meat,
> for example. Suckling pigs were already eaten (being a Spring "crop"),
> and mature hogs were not butchered until after frost. Preserved pork can
> certainly be on the menu, but no chops, roasts, fresh sausages, etc.
>
> What do other folks know about seasonal foods for their time and place?

We have had a few conversations on this. I would love to see someone
do more comprehensive research on this and perhaps write an article
for the Florilegium.

Here is a little that I have on this.
food-seasons-msg  (11K)  9/21/00    When various foods were in season.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/food-seasons-msg.html

Stefan
(for now, still around)
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net