[Sca-cooks] Reptilian Pronunciation

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu May 23 06:43:15 PDT 2002

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:
> This of course does not explain why jaguar and
> guarantee are pronounced so
> differently, when the same four-letter pattern is
> present. Personally, I
> think that is a question for Dr. Johnson!

Actually, 'Lainie, I'd rather see Dr Seuss address the
issiue- he'd likely make more sense.

I think the reason we have so many different vowel
sounds with similar pronunciations, and vice versa, is
because we have taken so mant words from other
languages, and being mere Colonials, we don't decide
we can pronounce it our way. The Brits, for example,
managed to pronounce "Don Juan" as "Don Jew an", and
let's not even get into the ballsup they made of
attempting to spell Chinese.

I suspect eventually, we'll be forced into phonetic
spelling, but I hope it's not in my lifetime. While I
perfectly agree that the metric system makes good
sense and can use it comfortably in scientific
matters, I LIKE the eccentricities of feet and pounds
and such......

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,