[Sca-cooks] Reptilian Pronunciation

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu May 23 06:57:26 PDT 2002

Different languages of origin, of course....
"Jaguar," according to my handy, old dictionary has its roots in the
Guarani word "yaguara" and the Tupi word "jaguara."  The dict. does give
the alternate pronunciation jag-yew-ar as being particularly British.
"Guarantee," on the other hand, is listed as most likely a spelling
variation of "guaranty," coming into English from the Middle French
"garantie," and traceable back to an older word of Germanic origin,
"garant," meaning "warrant."
--Maire, more than pleased that she can show off her ability to do
something right, even if it's only read a dictionary! <g> (and not
usually a pedant, but almost always a pain in the behind ;-)