[Sca-cooks] Reptilian Pronunciation

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 23 07:54:06 PDT 2002

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Different languages of origin, of course....
>"Jaguar," according to my handy, old dictionary has its roots in the
>Guarani word "yaguara" and the Tupi word "jaguara."  The dict. does give
>the alternate pronunciation jag-yew-ar as being particularly British.

I hereby declare that the Official, Legitimate, Alternative,
Particularly American pronunciation of "antidisestablishmentarianism"
is "cheese mite". Anyone who disagrees is obviously an intolerant
American-basher and a linguistic ignoramus who will be ritually
reviled at the next International Philologist's Ball...

>  > This of course does not explain why jaguar and guarantee are pronounced so
>>  differently, when the same four-letter pattern is present. Personally, I
>>  think that is a question for Dr. Johnson!
>>
>>  'Lainie
>  > sometime amateur pedant

Yes, he can discuss it with the authors of the definitive
Guarani-Tupi/Tupi-Guarani dictionary...

Adamantius, who tends to agree with Edmund Blackadder on the subject
of Dr. Johnson