[Sca-cooks] Period cooking and camping

AnnaMarie wolfsong at ida.net
Thu May 23 07:46:26 PDT 2002

> We get small eight ounce cheeses in wax. They keep unrefrigerated
> until we open them.

Hmmmm....  wonder if you could coat *any* cheese in wax to keep it?  As much
as I like Gouda I prefer a variety and absolutely love goat cheese.  I'm
also making yogurt cheese alot lately but I could make that daily.

> Elizabeth bakes before Pennsic and the bread lasts about four days.
> I've also make the Ain i Akbari pan bread at Pennsic. And I'll
> probably do some of my conjectural oatcakes this time. We haven't
> built an oven, although we know people who have.

We're talking about building an oven next year.  We're also still working on
making the cloche oven work, just need to add coals to the top.

> Elizabeth has two articles in the Miscellany that are relevant,
> incidentally. One is on camping without a cooler, the other a dinner
> at Pennsic. Webbed on my site at:

Believe me, I'm *very* familiar with your web site, I go there first for
recipes and such.  In fact we made a lamb stew last weekend from a recipe on
your site and it is now on the menu for Uprising, everyone loved it!  Now
back to there for the nibbles you mentioned.

Out of curiosity do you do the period cooking thing at every event or just
Pennsic?  Was it a transition thing for you or did you just do it all in one
fell swoop?

Thank you ever so much for all the information.

Kristianne
Wolf Song Day Spa & Herb Shop