[Sca-cooks] Period cooking and camping

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Thu May 23 09:19:32 PDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002 08:46:26 -0600 "AnnaMarie" <wolfsong at ida.net> writes:

>Hmmmm....  wonder if you could coat *any* cheese in wax to keep it?
>As much
>as I like Gouda I prefer a variety and absolutely love goat cheese.
>I'm
>also making yogurt cheese alot lately but I could make that daily.

    I got to attend a cheese lecture recently, and waxing was touched on.
 The Cheesemaker said that she finds wax changes the taste of the cheese
when applied as part of the aging process.  She also indicated that it is
fairly easy to trap the 'wrong' molds between the cheese and the wax when
waxing.  This woman was an artisanal cheesemaker, and quality was
extremely important to her.

   When I worked at a natural foods co-op there was a week or so of
hoo-rah because some person disregarded the cheese handling techniques.
We lost several pounds because there was mold that (gosh!!) looked
*exactly* like a moldy fingerprint on the cut up pieces of cheese.  (I
*still* shake my head over that one!)

   Elizabeth