[Sca-cooks] Food Origins

Thu May 23 08:30:47 PDT 2002

As a small correction, Alces alces and A. americana are considered different
species rather than different subspecies, although the point is debatable.
A. alces is called an elk in Europe.  A. americana is called a moose (from
the Abenaki word "mos").

Cervus canadiensis (wapiti, from the Shawnee "waapiti," called an elk in
North America) is a different species from Cervus elaphus (European red
deer).

Caribou and reindeer both appear to be Rangifer tarandus.

And if you do serve elk (be it European or North American) at a feast, let
me know.  I want to be there.

Bear