[Sca-cooks] Reptilian Pronunciation (was Drive up ATM's OT, OOP (was Languages)

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu May 23 08:48:44 PDT 2002

http://nautilus.fis.uc.pt/st2.5/scenes-e/elem/e01310.html

The metal derives its name from alumen, the Latin name
for alum. In 1761 L. B. G de Morveau proposed the name
alumine for the base in alum, and in 1787 Lavoisier
definitely identified it as the oxide of a still
undiscovered metal. In 1807 Sir Humphrey Davy proposed
the name aluminum for this metal and later agreed to
change it to aluminum. Shortly thereafter, the name
aluminium was adopted to conform to the "ium" ending
of most elements, and this spelling is now in general
use throughout the world. Aluminum was also the
accepted spelling in the United States until 1925 when
the American Chemical Society officially reverted to
aluminum.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,