[Sca-cooks] pilaf

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Thu May 23 09:15:51 PDT 2002

And have you had advanced senility long?    ;-)
Just replying to YOUR post.

If you look at the nice heavy la creuset chicken frying pan, it is a nice
heavy iron, coated with enamel and has IIRC 3" tall sides, and a nicely
fitting lid.

One *might* saute the onions and rice in the bottom of this nice heavy
device, *then* pour in whatever liquid medium you are going to be pilafing
with, topping with lid and cooking appropriately.

hell, I have made pilaf in a cheap wearever nonstick skillet with an
improvised pizza pan lid.

Double hell, I have lived for periods of time with my only pot being a wok
and lid. Made pilaf, soup, spaghetti, steak...you can NOT stirfry in a wok,
ya know ;-)
margali

the quote starts here.

the original post:
Then there's a pilaf, which generally involves two pots, one for
sauteeing (very briefly) the measured, raw rice in some kind of fat
(just enough to coat and for just long enough to coat and to puff up
the grains just a bit), and the other for twice as much liquid
(stock, water, etc.) as rice to be brought to a  boil, then added to
the rice, brought to a boil, and then simmered for around 20 minutes.

It might help to know what kind of rice you're using, and what kind
of recipe you had in mind...

Adamantius

what you just posted:
Also sprach Marilyn Traber:
>*twitch*
>or using a good heavy coverable skillet, like a great enamelled la
creusette
>chicken fryer.  Saute goodies, add liquid and proceed as normal.
>*twitch*
>Get 2 pans dirty for one dish?
>*twitch*
>
>margali
>
>the quote starts here:
>Then there's a pilaf, which generally involves two pots, one for
>sauteeing (very briefly) the measured, raw rice in some kind of fat
>(just enough to coat and for just long enough to coat and to puff up
>the grains just a bit), and the other for twice as much liquid
>(stock, water, etc.) as rice to be brought to a  boil, then added to
>the rice, brought to a boil, and then simmered for around 20 minutes.

How do you get the liquid to boil without a pan? Honestly, try it
both ways, and tell me the results are indistinguishable...

Adamantius (who often uses water for this, plus a dab of glace de
vollaile in the rice pot, and puts away the water pan unwashed)