[Sca-cooks] pilaf

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 23 09:40:17 PDT 2002

Also sprach Marilyn Traber:
>One *might* saute the onions and rice in the bottom of this nice heavy
>device, *then* pour in whatever liquid medium you are going to be pilafing
>with, topping with lid and cooking appropriately.

But, again, how did you get it to boil before adding it to the pan?
Telekinesis? A magnifying glass and a sunny window? "Cooking
appropriately" includes that. Classically, pilaf is made that way,
and while you can certainly cook rice without that liquid already at
a boil, it isn't really pilaf by classical standards, either French
or Turkish, and the product really is a little bit different.

I'm not finding fault with your method. I just stated what the
"officially approved" method was, so people could make an informed
choice before  changing or abandoning it.

A.