[Sca-cooks] broccoli and cauliflower

Fri May 24 12:57:44 PDT 2002

Cabbage brings out all manner of apocrypha, why not trot out Al Broccoli.
I've got one source that says brussels sprouts are an invention of the 18th
Century and another that says they and kohlrabi are referenced in Dodonaeus'
Cruydeboek of 1554 (which I haven't been able to check out).  I've also come
across a drawing of brussels sprouts purporting to be from 1587, but I
haven't isolated the source.  Who yah gonna believe.

Bear