[Sca-cooks] Pie Crust

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue May 28 15:16:04 PDT 2002

Greetings,

I am certain that good gentles such as Bear will have many more thoughts,
but the one that sprang to my mind was in Sabina Welserin - German 1553. I
have found two in the manuscript and I am not certain the difference in
intent between them. I am more inclined towards 70 for normal pies and
tarts. 61 seems to be more for a freextanding coffin style pie, but i could
be wrong.

61 To make a pastry dough for all shaped pies
Take flour, the best that you can get, about two handfuls, depending on how
large or small you would have the pie. Put it on the table and with a knife
stir in two eggs and a little salt. Put water in a small pan and a piece of
fat the size of two good eggs, let it all dissolve together and boil.
Afterwards pour it on the flour on the table and make a strong dough and
work it well, however you feel is right. If it is summer, one must take meat
broth instead of water and in the place of the fat the skimmings from the
broth. When the dough is kneaded, then make of it a round ball and draw it
out well on the sides with the fingers or with a rolling pin, so that in the
middle a raised area remains, then let it chill in the cold. Afterwards
shape the dough as I have pointed out to you. Also reserve dough for the
cover and roll it out into a cover and take water and spread it over the top
of the cover and the top of the formed pastry shell and join it together
well with the fingers. Leave a small hole. And see that it is pressed
together well, so that it does not come open. Blow in the small hole which
you have left, then the cover will lift itself up. Then quickly press the
hole closed. Afterwards put it in the oven. Sprinkle flour in the dish
beforehand. Take care that the oven is properly heated, then it will be a
pretty pastry. The dough for all shaped pastries is made in this manner.

70 A tart with plums, which can be dried or fresh
Let them cook beforehand in wine and strain them and take eggs, cinnamon and
sugar. Bake the dough for the tart. That is made like so: take two eggs and
beat them. Afterwards stir flour therein until it becomes a thick dough.
Pour it on the table and work it well, until it is ready. After that take
somewhat more than half the dough and roll it into a flat cake as wide as
you would have your tart. Afterwards pour the plums on it and roll out after
that the other crust and cut it up, however you would like it, and put it on
top over the tart and press it together well and let it bake. So one makes
the dough for a tart.

I haven't tried it yet, but I need to if I am going to make a Cinnamon tart
from scratch. Now if I can only figure out what size/shape it might be.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

<quoth Mistress Christiana>