[Sca-cooks] Midrealm Ruled by Cooks

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu May 30 10:02:45 PDT 2002

Kiri wrote:

> However, I didn't mean in numbers, but rather in respect.  It took a very
> long time for us to get to a point where getting Pelican or a Laurel was
> basically the same as getting any other award...you were called in or the
> Order came and got you, you were told why you were there, they read a pretty
> scroll and then hung a dangley around your neck...done and done.  At this
> same time, Knights were accorded a full ceremonial "do" with all of the
> attendant "stuff".  At least we now have ceremonies and vigils as well...but
> it was a long time coming!

That took some concerted effort on the part of the Orders and individual peers
for years to get to this point.  I did my part by asking to be dubbed by the
Sword of State at my elevation and using the form of address "Dame."  I am fond
of claiming that due to cooking awards, I had long since been authorized to use
live steel in the SCA [in the kitchen], so how many knights can claim that?
Present company excepted, of course.

I'm bemused that I threw Patrick's stats off significantly with AoA in 1982, Pel
in 2000.

Dame Selene Colfox, OP, Caid, call'ed by the wise "auntie"