[Sca-cooks] Face it- we're ALL Ruled by Cooks!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri May 31 23:28:37 PDT 2002

At 01:07 AM 6/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
>'Lainie declared:
>> I think an LOI would be an excellent idea- one that it would be good to see
>> in  An Tir (we don't currently have one). If nothing else, it proves that
>> you are literate, are capable of putting together paperwork, can meet a
>> deadline! Also, it streamlines thing for the lists- and the seneschallate,
>> as they check membership status. I think It is a Good Thing. (but I am but
>> the peeping of crickets...)
>
>Ideally this might work well. However, in the real world such letters
>of intent with the King holding veto power over who can fight in the
>Crown list have been used to arbitrarily keep those the King doesn't
>like out of the list.

Stefan, letters or not, the King *already* has the veto power. Didn't you
realize that? (Most of them just don't exercise it.)

We aren't looking for way the King can keep someone out- he can already do
that. We look instead for a *self-selecting* process. I'f you don't turn in
an LOI, which is basically a reservation, you don't have a seat at the Big
Game. They don't eject you from your seat- you just stand and watch,
knowing that you can't go in. If you really want to play, you turn in the
letter!

Heck- I couldn't vote in the primary a couple weeks back because I forgot
to re-up my registration after teh last move. (And you can bet I'm
re-registered now!) It works the same way. Simply a basic requirement.

If someone wants to keep you out of the list, there are easier ways than
messing with the LOI.

'Lainie
-registered voter so don't tread on me!