[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest/burdock

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Fri Nov 1 20:32:06 PST 2002

> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 16:32:10 -0600
> From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
>  >
>  >Wouldn't be on the uses of Burdock, would it?
>
> So, what is "Burdock"? Waverly Root doesn't list this in _Food_.
> --

   Burdock is a weed.  The root was gathered and works rather like a
tuber; except that it turns brown really quickly once cut.  Remains were
found at the Viking era sites of Elisenhof and Hedeby in Germany.  It is
one of the wild plant foods (like stinging nettles, chickweed and
chenopodias) that were eaten either as early greens (like nettles) or in
case of cultivated scarcities.  Nettles, chickweed and chenopodias
remains were also found at Elisenhof and Hedeby.

  Burdock is utilized in macrobiotic diets, and I *think* Asian foods--I
learned about it making a macrobiotic salad for the salad deli at a co-op
I worked for, so I don't know what kind of place it has in more
traditional dishes.  I have come across it for sale in both natural foods
groceries and Asian markets, which is good, 'cause I don't have the
vaguest idea of what the plant itself looks like!

  Elizabeth