[Sca-cooks] saffron dyeing

Steve steve.mont at verizon.net
Sun Nov 3 22:22:27 PST 2002

--
In trying to make a new (not reserved :-) ) yellow protege belt I decided
to try to saffron dye the leather.  This is the initial part of the note
that I took in the process:

I dissolved .25g of saffron powder in 4oz of boiling water and immersed a
test piece of leather for 20 minutes.  After this time I removed the piece
to let it dry and see the color.  After approximately three hours of drying
time I took pictures of a control piece and the test piece.  I then put the
test piece back into the saffron solution.  After soaking for about 3 more
hours I pulled the test piece out of the solution, after it dried I noticed
a slight color change.  I then put the piece back into the solution
overnight.  After a 36 hour soak I pulled the test piece out and let it dry
naturally.

I was trying for a more natural looking yellow than the screaming neon/Big
Bird yellow that you get with the current commercial paints.  What I got
was a muted yellow/gold color similar to a buckskin.  I  like the color but
have a couple questions.  Would doing something slightly different make it
a little more yellow? And, will the color leech out onto garb and if so,
what can I do to fast the dye?

AEduin