[Sca-cooks] crown tourney menu - caveat emptor

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Nov 11 10:07:25 PST 2002

Well, believe it or not, many people do actually skip most of the dishes in
any given course, or take a very small taste so they actually eat about a
normal sized meal. If the menu was made public [or you could have contacted
them ahead of time to decide if you wanted to go onboard] and you are still
upset about the menu, it is your problem. I have always made any of my menus
available well before the day of the event, and have always posted the day's
menu at troll and made myself available for at least a month ahead of time
for dietary problems/discussions...Anybody who doesn't check on the menu
ahead of time is getting a pig in a poke and shouldn't complain. We have
discussed event menu availability/access on this list innumerable times with
the general consensus that people have to take the responsibility of
determining the menu and it's suitabbility. If you don't, again it is fully
your problem.

Sorry to sound cold, but I have some serious food allergies and can't
blythly assume I can eat anything served. I always check menus well ahead of
the event. I have seen menus this size very successfully served at many
feasts. And i might add without hearing any complaints afterwards. The head
cook is not going to call every person who makes a reservation and announce
the menu. Do it yourself. Caveat Emptor.

If you have a problem like the infamous chinese feast from the middle
kingdom where maor portions of the foods were not edible at all due to
mishandling, then there is an issue. I had serious issues on event in
Carillon a few years ago where literally everything had feta added that
wasn't on the original menu simply because they got a great deal on dead
stinky goat I made my displeasure and disappointment well known to the
cooks. I could eat the dry bread, they provided no spreads. I got custody of
an orange, a banana and 3 dates[the entire contents of the bowl of fruit for
the table] and a small handfull of raisins I sharked from my goddaughter's
diaper bag snack baggie. I missed out on the badly prepared tebboule, some
sort of dressed salad of whole chickpeas and lentils, some sort of stewed
tomato crap and through an accidental omission they forgot to set aside the
2 shishkebabs before adding mushrooms so I didn't even get a shot at the
entree. Being diabetic, this is NOT a good thing to happen in the wilds of
central Jersey when I don't have any sort of transport to get off site to
get my own food. Since then I have refused to not have my own car at events.
I did get my money back as I had specifically asked for and gotten a
printout of the menu and ingredients, and written aknowlegement of the
shishkebab unmushrooming and the fact that the only dead goat was to be in
the stewed tomatos.

margali

the quote starts here:
Nutritionally it is a meal, for coronation it was a dissapointment. I don't
know, I guess if I wanted this without anything special and SCA I could have
saved the 8 bucks and gone to a restaraunt. Or saved more and gone home,
many of my freinds are already doing that instead of feasting. We don't eat
much during the day in anticipation and do expect something more, I guess
maybe too much.

Cecily