[Sca-cooks] crown tourney menu - caveat emptor

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 11 10:50:18 PST 2002

> menu at troll and made myself available for at least a month ahead of time
> for dietary problems/discussions...Anybody who doesn't check on the menu
> ahead of time is getting a pig in a poke and shouldn't complain.

Unfortunately, we do run into situations where though the menu looks quite
doable, the quantities of various things served can be problematic.

This happened recently when many people said they had gone home from a
feast (locally) hungry. Since the only major leftovers were one 2-gallon
bag of rice, I had a good idea why. In particular, that menu looked good
on paper but turned out to be low on carbs when eaten, and not
particularly generous on other kinds of non-meat dishes.

Generally, if one of the goals is to limit leftovers, you do tend to run
the risk of not hitting people's palates the way you thought, and, as a
result, ending up with people feeling unfilled.

If there are lots of the carbohydrate dishes, especially if there are
sufficient fats, the final impression seems to be more filling.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I used to be one of them. Now I rather think I'm one of me." -- Terry
Prachett, _Thief of Time_