[Sca-cooks] vegetarian

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Mon Nov 11 19:30:28 PST 2002

1. a lot of the people in some baronies are vegetarian...... this may not be
true in YOUR barony, but it is true in mine

2.  if they cant eat it, they wont come to feast

3. if they cant eat  at enough feasts. they feel left out of the SCA as a
group. cant socialize with the other SCAdians.. and we may lose them
entirely!

it is absolutely amazing what you can do with vegetarian foods given our
culture has access to world wide shipping, freezing, canning, and other
methods of storing fresh vegetables!  if you wish to put on a very vegan
friendly feast. just look for recepies designed to use up the harvest!

also, there are lots of times we use what would have been an expensive meat
to substtute for a (period inexpensive) meat
like we use beef instead of rabbit in something....... so you can just as
easily use TVP or Tofu in a strongly flavored sauce.. and it probably tastes
about the same......

also, i seem to recall a sermon ranting about how some tables were done up
with vegetarian foods that were disguised to look like meat. and this wasnt
really "fasting"
so there are some reasons to hold that vegetarian "meat substitutes" were
period.. just maybe not the exact ones we use.

heck...... i doubt it would be out of place to have a good barley and lentil
stew......... in harvest time.

Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."