[Sca-cooks] Estimating poultry

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Mon Nov 11 16:37:45 PST 2002

>Has anyone come across a chart that estimates the usable light meat, dark
>meat, skin etc on turkeys and chickens at given weights? For example 3 vs
>5 pound chicken or 12, 18 or 24 pound turkey?

Not quite exactly, but...

Experiments done with my cooking students showed that if you took a raw,
whole bird, and boned it, you got about 40%-50% of the bird's weight in
meat, and once cooked, you lost another 15%-25%, hence if you start with a
2 pound bird, you get about 0.5 to 0.75 pound of meat, cooked.

This is, from memory, don't have my numbers exactly, but it would be fairly
easy to duplicate.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies