[Sca-cooks] Estimating poultry

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Nov 11 16:24:51 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Has anyone come across a chart that estimates the usable light meat, dark
meat, skin etc on turkeys and chickens at given weights? For example 3 vs 5
pound chicken or 12, 18 or 24 pound turkey?

> Sharon

Well, the rule of thumb for live critters is 50-60% of live weight is meat.
For dressed critters, you usually go about 80-90%, depending on what you eat
and how you clean the carcass. Of course, I usually make the carcass into
soup stock when I do a bird, but haven't done that up here. Hope that helps.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,