[Sca-cooks] vegan demands

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Nov 12 07:29:04 PST 2002

I don;t know, I was cooking a dragons flight event and had a 3som of vegans
show up demanding food. I hit the closest grocery store, and on my own
nickle as the monies for the feast were all spent got makings. They got imam
bayadi [a fried eggplant dish, lots of oil and spices, very luxurious] a
vegetable pilau, falafel, beid hamine [they admitted eggs would be ok],
pickled onions with mint and honey [also ok with them] and both baba ganoush
and hummus bi tahini and pita. [we were doing a vaguely middle eastern feast
with lamb and chicken for us carnivores]

Got not a thanks from them, and complaints that they couldnt eat anything in
the rest of the feast [all containing stuff they wouldn't eat, most of which
had already been cooked or partially cooked and unable to separate anything
out. I litterally 'resteraunted' them with their own custom vegie
feast.]Rather turned me off to vegans.

But then again this is the last feast we ever prepared in canton - rob and i
even donated lambs and chickens we raised ourself to keep the feast cost
down. We never got thanked over it - or called into court and applauded. If
you don't at least signify by applause that we done good, we don't play at
that level with you - we go where we ARE appreciated.

Although it seems like every time I go to northpass, i end up bubble dancing
in the kitchen.
margali

the quote starts here:

Now, the challenge is, can we find veg foods that fit into an upper
class feast, that are documentable, that are flavourful, and that are
all we expect from meat dishes?  If we can, we open up a range of new
dishes to feed *everyone*, not just the vegetarians.  And we save
ourselves some stress when a vegetarian shows up on the day and says
"what are you going to feed me?" (yes, I agree it's amazingly rude, but
it can be planned for).  Perhaps even better, most vegetable dishes are
less expensive than meat dishes, so you can have more of them and give
people a bigger feast, or get some more special ingredients, or support
more half-price servers or special presentation items to give your event
a bit extra class.

Yours,

Katherine