[Sca-cooks] OT - venomous animals in Europe (Stefan li Rous)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 12 21:48:29 PST 2002

Johann answered me with:
> Well, Stefan really answers this on his Florilegium,

I do? Hmm. Well, one reason for the Florilegium is to substitute
for my sometimes faulty memory. So, where? Or maybe I should go
use the search engine like I sometimes recommend...

> but the first thing in my head was VIPERS!! Pit
> vipers, ie., European Adders. in various sub species.
> Cobras were not unheard of either!
>
> Also spiders.

Then the native animals and hazardous animals found in the American
colonies might not have seemed quite as strange to the Europeans as
say, Australia did later.

Cobras? I thought they were an Indian continent thing. Or like the

Aurochs, were they driven to extinction in Europe?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com