[Sca-cooks] Buying meat

Pat "Mordonna" Griffin mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 17 17:26:52 PST 2002

Phlip wrote:

>Even properly raised milk breeds can be quite tasty- Jerseys produce exceptional meat<

I agree.  Although they are a bit less hardy than Angus, and most other beef breeds.  Jerseys are more likely to fall prey to just about any bug that's out there that likes bovines, and have more delicate digestive systems than Holsteins, for instance.  However, their milk is far and away the best, and their meat is exceptional.  Also, there is nothing much cuter than a Jersey calf.  That lovely red coat and those big eyes and long lashes are just darling.  But, they can be mean.  Our herd was mostly Holstein and Holstein-Jersey cross with a few pure Jerseys.  We usually kept a Jersey bull calf to raise for the table.  We had one midget Jersey cow.  She weighed in at a mere 300 lbs.  She gave about 4 gallons of 8% milk a day, and was one of our best dams.  We always bred her to the best Holstein bulls, and her daughters were some of our best producers, with high butterfat.  She gave us a calf a year for about twelve years, with only three bulls.  Some of the Holsteins topped 1500 lbs, but Red was the boss cow of the herd.  It was absolutely hilarious to see her this tiny little red thing pushing around those black and white behemoths.  She got away with it on sheer meaness.

Mordonna