[Sca-cooks] Sourdough Bread--for the bakers here

Amanda Blackwolf amandablackwolf at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 19 15:17:03 PST 2002

Well, based on the Platina recipe in the Miscellany "On Bread", I've made 2
batches of sourdough bread.

Here are the results:
Batch #1. Used whole wheat flour, as called for in the Miscelleny. Starter
had been fed early in the morning, and about 12 hours later I started the
bread. Let it proof in the oven w/ the light on (we don't have central heat)
over night, for a total of 16-ish hours. Followed directions, and let rise
again for an hour. Baked.
Results: VERY sourdough. Crusty. I liked it, but my hubby didn't. Too much
of a bite.

Batch #2. (I don't like wheat bread) Substituted unbleached AP flour for the
wheat (well, used that for the whole thing). Fed starter at about 4ish, and
at midnight it was still bubbling like crazy. Made bread following the
directions with the exception of the substitution. Left to proof in oven for
13 hours. Again, followed directions, etc. Rise for an hour. Bake.
Results: Still very yummy. Crusty. But if there is a sourdough *tang* to it,
I *barely* find it. My daughter says it tasted yummy, and there was a little
sourness to it. As a bread it was successful. As sourdough, I'm not so sure,
but then, I only have experience *eating* sourdough, not baking it.

Questions: Where did I mess up? On both. The starter was the same.....plain
flour and water. I can bake bread ok, it gets rave reviews w/ friends and
family (as long as I remember the SALT). But I wanted to try the sourdough
for a couple of reasons....I love sourdough, and yeast is expensive, no
matter how you slice it.
Why the heck to my loaves rise like crazy when they go in the oven to BAKE?
I haven't slashed the top, would that help prevent the lopsided loaf look?
We are talking about 3 inches here.

Thanks,
Amanda

---