[Sca-cooks] Sourdough Bread--for the bakers here

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 19 16:45:02 PST 2002

Remember the name "sourdough" refers to letting the dough ferment
spontaneously, not the sour taste.  The taste of sourdough can vary widely,
which is why commercial bakeries use citric acid to produce the sour tang.

The sourness of sourdough bread depends on the lactobacilli.  Lactobacilli
produce the lactic acid once the environment goes anaerobic after the yeast
uses up the oxygen.  The more oxygen or the less active the yeast, the less
sour taste.  The sour taste can vary between batches.

The fast rise after you start baking is oven spring.  It sound like you are
getting extensive but fine aeration of the dough, which expands dramatically
when heated.  Slashing the loaves may help the expansion occur more evenly.
If you do slash the loaves, make the cuts with a really sharp blade about
1/2 inch deep.

If the bread was good, I'd say you're doing things right.

Bear