[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, to leave or not to leave.

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 25 10:27:12 PST 2002

>Adamantius
>
>*P.S.: Can anyone explain to me (and I know we've also had this
>discussion here before), maybe I should say, can anyone give me a
>compelling argument in support of either A) taking your leftovers
>home with you, or B) --to be fair-- not taking your leftovers home
>with you?

I agree. Bringing food over is part of the payment to the host. The
host has to deal with the housecleaning and usually cleaning up of
the kitchen and hosting the people and dealing with the crowd and
all that. So you at least leave them the leftovers as a partial repayment.
That's always been my philosophy. You can bring a small tupperware
container if you wish to take some of your dish back, usually if there
is going to be a glut of leftovers and it will cause hardship to your host.
But always leave at least something. I remember being insulted when
a friend brought a wonderful handmade cheesecake to my 30th birthday
party and then took it with him when he left. It just felt like he didn't
bring a gift.

My opinion is that you always leave food to the host unless there is a good
reason not to. (Your hosts are vegetarian, and would really appreciate the
half a turkey carcass in their fridge after the carnivores leave, for
example.)

Gunthar