[Sca-cooks] Possibly OT/OOP "help!" question

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Nov 25 20:02:57 PST 2002

Hi, gang.
I've got a favor to ask.
I know that there are a lot of very talented foodies on this list (yeah,
duh, maire!), and some of you have worked with/lived with some decent
dietary restrictions, so.....
I'm making a couple of freeze-and-reheat-when-needed casserole-thangs
for a friend who's mom is dying (at home, with hospice help and all).
She's getting inundated with relatives and such, and could use some
help.  I've been through this, myself, so I know how nice it can be to
not have to worry about cooking when you've got so much else on your
mind....
Thing is, she's allergic to wheat, and most dairy is also a no-no.  So
I'm trying to think of a couple of dishes (rice-based, maybe? or with
barley?) that I can pre-cook and freeze for her, that don't have wheat
or dairy.  So far, I've thought of "Capon Cooked in Mrs Duffield's Way"
(chicken in an orange sauce, which I'd probably package with a precooked
rice dish). And I thought maybe blancmange, but that might be too
bland....
Does anyone have some suggestions for me? They don't need to be
period....
Thanks a bunch,
Maire