[Sca-cooks] Re: Artificial sweeteners

Butterflye butterflye at runbox.com
Tue Nov 26 18:38:21 PST 2002

>>> the Splenda i found works great in cold beverages.. they say you can
cook with it, but all i know is my HOT tea doesnt sweeten right with it.

I can't imagine why -- I use Splenda in tea and coffee, and it works just
fine. I actually use it EVERYWHERE I would use sugar, except to rise bread.
I've used it in quick breads (no yeast), pies, cakes, cookies, on cereal,
absolutely everywhere that sugar would be. I love that I'm finding it in
more and more products. Log Cabin has a new sugar free pancake syrup made
with Splenda that actually tastes like Log Cabin, not like that gacky Carey
s sugar-free stuff.

There is another product called SugarLike, which is not only
diabetic-friendly, but it is the texture of sugar, and it has a brown sugar
that actually gets lumps. I use that when I want the texture right, like in
oatmeal cookies where the proper mix of butter and sugar are part of what
makes the cookie chewy. I haven't found it anywhere except online. I buy
mine from www.vitalady.com. It's a bit expensive, so I don't go wild with it
 but when I want that sugar taste and texture, it's the right product. It is
not calorie-free, but does have half the calories of sugar and no glycemic
reaction for diabetics.
YIS...
~~Lorète
--