[Sca-cooks] My Thanksgiving Feast

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 30 09:12:30 PST 2002

Since I volunteered to work over the Holiday, we're having our Feast today.  Things are just starting to smell real good in the kitchen now.  I brined my turkey last night (same mixture as Master A).  This morning I rubbed her inside and out with olive oil, sea salt, rubbed sage, galingale, and ground black pepper.  Placed in her cavities:

1 Granny Smith Apple (cut in quarters)

1 Gala Apple (cut in quarters)

1 large bermuda onion (cut in quarters)

3 outer ribs celery (cut in 3 inch lengths)

21 lb. turkey,  put in the oven at 8:00 AM, we'll be serving around 2:30 PM.  I'll check it around 11:30, and every half hour afterward.  I"ve put it in a large roasting pan with a rack, breast side down.  When it's nearly done, I'll take it out, drain the juices, turn it over, and put it back in uncovered to brown.

Also on the menu:

Cornbread Dressing

4 cups fresh cornbread, crumbled (see recipe below)

2 cups toasted cubes of whole grain bread

1 stalk celery, chopped

1 large bermuda onion, chopped

handful of raisins

handful of pine nuts

4 Tbs. dried parsley

2 cups turkey broth

Mix all together and bake in hot oven until brown and partially set.  (we like ours very moist.)

Corn Bread

1 Tbs. oil

3 cups Self Rising corn meal

1 cup Self Rising flour

1 cup buttermilk

2 whole eggs, beaten

1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil

Place 1 Tbs. oil in heavy cast iron frying pan and place in 450 degree oven to preheat.  Mix all ingredients together just to moisten dry ingredients.  Add enough water to make a really thick batter.  Pour into cast iron pan, and bake at 450 degrees about 45 minutes, or until golden brown on top and set in center.

We'll also have all the usual suspects:  Green bean casserole with Durkee's new Cheese onions on top, corn on the cob, cranberry sauce, dumplings in turkey broth, potato salad, baked sweet potatoes, two kinds of cranberry sauce (smooth and chunky, both from a can this year) and giblet gravy.  Pumpkin pie and coffee for dessert.  There's just five of us, My Parents, Mom's brother, and his wife, and me.  Maybe the next door neighbor.

Mordonna (back to cookin')

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook
Atenveldt, Atenveldt