[Sca-cooks] Reviews was From Today's NY Times

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Nov 30 10:11:20 PST 2002

I've reviewed before for Amazon.  I just have not had time between
working on notes on Conditie e Confezioni for Louise's upcoming Italian
feast on the 7th and my presentation handout for the Midrealm Cooks
event on the 14th. I need to get a review of it also done for Serve it
Forth. I find that short reviews take a great deal of time and when one
reviews for Amazon one ought to consider the appeal of the book to a
general audience. This forces one to consider other facets of the book,
such as layout, illustrations, binding, dustjacket, and value. I rather
object to reviews that fail to mention price. For instance the TI review
of Regional Cusines of Medieval Europe failed to mention that the book
costs 80 dollars. It may be a splendid survey as the reviewer says but
is it worth 80 dollars to a general reader or a beginning cook?

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway