[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest/burdock

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Nov 1 21:51:35 PST 2002

>  >
>>  So, what is "Burdock"? Waverly Root doesn't list this in _Food_.
>>  --
>
>    Burdock is a weed.  The root was gathered and works rather like a
>tuber;
>...  I have come across it for sale in both natural foods
>groceries and Asian markets, which is good, 'cause I don't have the
>vaguest idea of what the plant itself looks like!

When you go walking in the woods in fall and get round prickers about
half an inch across stuck all over your clothes... thats burdock.
The plants are more or less waist high, and have leaves about the
size of your hand and grow where the grown has been disturbed.

The plant is a biennial, and I believe that. like carrots, you want
to eat them in the first year.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/weedguid/burdock.htm
http://www.cwma.org/burdock.html
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant02.htm