[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest/burdock

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 1 22:56:48 PST 2002

The roots are eaten as a vegetable in Japanese cooking. Sliced and
simmered, may be added to soup or served on their own, usually in small
quantities. Quite good, actually.

The inventor of macrobiotics was Japanese, and used many Japanese foods
in his theories.

Also, the seed pods have bristles all over them which inspired velcro!
Just try walking near one wearing a sweater... And the leaves are softer
but also a bit hairy. When I was a kid, my grandmother (born in 1882)
showed me how, when "Nice girls" didn't wear rouge, they would pick dock
leaves and rub them on their cheeks to get a bit of color.

Anne