[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest/burdock

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Sat Nov 2 22:38:52 PST 2002

> Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 00:51:35 -0500
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> From: ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest/burdock
> When you go walking in the woods in fall and get round prickers
> about
> half an inch across stuck all over your clothes... thats burdock.
> The plants are more or less waist high, and have leaves about the
> size of your hand and grow where the grown has been disturbed.

   Then I do know what the plant looks like!  Mom always called the
prickle balls cockleburs, and I assumed that is what the plant was
called.  I attack it ruthlessly in the yard 8^( 'cause it makes a royal
mess in my dog's fur.

    I use burdock, peeled and sliced in stews, and when I made the salad
for the deli it was beets and burdock and beet greens stir-fried and
dressed.

   Elizabeth