[Sca-cooks] Atlantian Crown Tourney/Long

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Nov 3 08:53:22 PST 2002

At 09:42 AM 11/3/02 -0500, you wrote:

>Olwen and Freidis (daughter MOrningstar) made a soteltie - a FULL SIZED
>CROWN AND SWORD.  The Crown was made from a combination of marzipan (what?
>You didn't guess that?) and sugarplate.  the 'blade' was painted with edible
>silver, and the hilt with edible gold and sapphire jewels'.

Oh wow... Olwen, I thought you were taking a break? Is that a 'break'? God
spare me from a 'vacation'!

>Freidis painted the crown with the gold, and high lighted the top with
>"pearls" which I believe (but I could be wrong) were silver dragees.  It was
>presented to their Majesties Cuan and Padraig on a velvet pillow (cardboard
>box coverd un velvet, trimmed with gold lace).  His Majesty after a few
>moments in absolute astonishment just contemplating the presentation, picked
>up the crown and held it slightly above his head.  Her majesty picked up the
>sword and dubbed him "Sir Loin of Beef".  (I think Olwen has pictures of
>this.)

Which I want to see!

>Lady Cordelia fitzRobert of York, who was the founding Guildmistress of the
>BHCG, was called into court and rceived her Pearl.  Of course the cooks all
>rushed out and went generally berserk.  Then we rushed back into the kitchen
>to begin working again.  Then Morningstar/Freidis was called and after 12
>years of service (she started off at about 9!) received an AoA.  Out, cheer,
>in.  Alainne d'Ancienns, Wynne ferch Rhodri, Aiofe ighean Roibard (7 years
>waiting), and Roana de Laci.  Lady Cordelia laughed thru her tears as she
>said we should announce "Due to a sudden onsluaght of ennoblements, dinner
>will be delayed by 1/2 hour."

Wow! You guys must be so thrilled! Especially if you had to wait!

I remember when Rotrude (Annie) got her AoA- she was 14 (you remember
Sweetie- Spring Coronet, James and Estefania were P&P- that was the event
where I pretended to trip you with my cane, and you spent the rest of the
event pretending to fall every time you waled in front of me...) All of her
friends were there with us, and I remember Kelly turning to me and saying
"WoW! What did she do to get that?!" And I said "Well, she started serving
feasts when she was 6 or 7, and has been doing 'stuff' ever since..."

And the little goober was wearing some of MY clothes when she got it.
Probably some of the ones she took with her to college, along with several
pairs of MY shoes and a bunch of MY books... (unpacking her involved a lot
of "Hey!...")

>PS WRITE those letters of recommendation.  They work!  That was my summer
>project, continuing on into the fall and winter - to get people a simple
>'Thank You' for the service they do.  So they don't wait 20 years, as did
>our Lady Devra...

I heartily concurr. I will admit I don't write many letters. But when I do,
I _mean it_. I also take the precaution of snooping (checking th eOP,
asking around) so I don't write a rec for something someone got 10 years
ago and everyone forgot...

'Lainie
-only awake because some @#$%^& idiot rang my phone at 8:06 AM! I'll be
glad when the election is over. I've been getting (recorded) phone calls
from W, two yesterday from Rudy Guiliani, one from our Senator (who is
spending so much I think he might be worried or something), one from some
poor old volunteer who launched into his script without pause and didn't
seem to know what to say when I told him we've already turned in our
ballots... gotta love vote-by-mail...