[Sca-cooks] Ember Day Tart

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Nov 3 10:03:54 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/3/2002 11:17:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cindy at thousandeggs.com writes:

> A note of clarification:  There are several extant copies of Forme of Cury.
> They are not all identical in the number & order of the recipes, nor in the
> exact wording of the recipes. Some copies call for herbs and green cheese,
> one specifies sage and parsley, and one omits cheese & substitutes bread.
> Just because an author presents one version does not mean that is the only
> version available.

OK.  I've only ever seen the versions done by Pegge and by COI.  On the
whole, I've worked enough with the Pegge version not to trust it AT ALL - too
many words either skipped entirely (like saying "hit well" instead of "sethe
hit well"), or words that make no sense at all - like describing small birds
as being "ysasted and ystyned" when COI says "yfarsed and ystweyd".  I've
always assumed that these are transcription/translation errors by Pegge.  Are
you saying that he was working from a different manuscript of Forme of Cury
than those presented in Curye on Inglysch?  Is the manuscript he was working
from actually worded the way he worded it?

Brangwayna Morgan