[Sca-cooks] Ember Day Tart

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 4 07:49:14 PST 2002

Actually it appears twice more.
Arundel 334 has it. This manuscript dates from
later than FoC, possibly 1420?.
Arundel 334 is a part of the text that appears as
pages 51-90 in the section that is labeled as
"Ancient Cookery" in Warner's Antiquitates Culinariae.
Warner was published in 1790, but there was a limited
edition facsimile released by Prospect Books in early 1981.

That version reads:

"Tart on Ember-day

Parboyle onions, and sauge, and parsel, and hew hom small, then take
gode
fatte chese, and bray hit, and do therto egges, and tempur hit up
therwith; and
do therto butterand sugur,, and raisynges of corance, and pouder of
ginger, and
of canell; medel all this well togedur, and do it in a coffyn, and bake
hit
uncoveret, and serve it forthe." pp.69-70

Arundel also appears in:
A Collection of ordinances and regulations for the government of the
Royal household,
made in divers reigns, from King Edward III to King William and Queen
Mary. Also receipts in ancient cookery.
which was published by the Society of Ant. in 1790. I have the microfilm
reel of this one; it was filmed in
1975 as part of the History of Women Collection and is the copy from
Radcliffe. The book was reprinted in 1970 in a very limited edition.

Ancient Cookery in that book is given as taken from pages 275-445 of the
MS. in the Arundel Collection number 344. (numbering is a mistake;
should be 334.) Sometime when I have time I will take a look at the
Ember day recipe in it, but I am not up to trekking off to the library
today
to use the rather bad reader that they have locally. Whe doing research
on another topic earlier last month, I found that are some minor
differences between Warner and the Household Accounts.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway
(Sorry not to have gotten to this earlier; I was busy over the weekend.)

Daniel Myers wrote on Sunday November 3rd:>
> Ok, so what we have then is the FoC recipe, mutated once or twice in
> reproduction, and then further variations upon that during redaction.
-> I'm working from the one in Curye on Inglish (thanks anyways).  I had