[Sca-cooks] Ember Day Tart

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Sun Nov 3 14:02:54 PST 2002

On Sunday, November 3, 2002, at 07:28 AM, Brangwayna Morgan wrote:

> --
> In a message dated 11/2/2002 7:09:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Doc writes:
>
>> Are there any versions of this recipe available other than the one in
>> Forme of Curye?
>
> There have got to be, because I've had ones with cheese in, but the
> recipe I
> usually use doesn't have cheese.
> Yeah, the FOC one has cheese.
> OH, now that's interesting!  I just checked the one I usually use,
> which  is
> the redaction in the first edition of Pleyn Delit.  They say the
> original
> they give IS from FOC, but it totally leaves out the "erbis", and
> changes the
> "bray grene chese in the mortar" to "bray brede in the mortar"!
> Yep.  Just checked the Pegge translation in Cariadoc's manuscripts -
> that's
> the one they used for Pleyn Delit.  The Curye on Inglysch one is far
> more
> likely to be correct.  Which is a darn shame, because I LIKE the recipe
> without cheese in it!
>
> A quick scan of a few of my other books did not show any other
> versions of
> that recipe.

Ok, so what we have then is the FoC recipe, mutated once or twice in
reproduction, and then further variations upon that during redaction.

> Which version  do you have - the Pegge, or the Curye on Inglysch?  If
> you'd
> like the COI one, I could type it in for you.

I'm working from the one in Curye on Inglish (thanks anyways).  I had
just assumed from the sheer number of references to Ember Day Tarts
that the recipe appeared in a number of different period cookbooks, but
when I started searching through my collection I had much the same
experience as you did.  I then thought that perhaps I didn't have the
right books.

- Doc