[Sca-cooks] Rose Sugar containers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 3 14:59:21 PST 2002

Brighid ni Chiarain commented:
> On 3 Nov 2002, at 2:46, Martin G. Diehl wrote:
>> Stefan li Rous wrote:
>> >
>> > Hmmm, "the jar must be well sealed".
> [snip]
>> Well, if you have to stri it dsily, that rules out
>> using a wax seal eash day -- unless the tight seal
>> does not have to be applied for the first 30 days.
>>
>> Vincenzo
>
> I would think that a jar with a tight-fitting lid or stopper would be
> what's meant.  Presumably you want to prevent moisture from
> coming in.

Yes, you want to keep moisture from coming in. I assume the sealing
is also to keep the rose essence from escaping, whether the rose
petals are left in the container or not. It doesn't say whether
to remove the roses or not. I assume leaving it in the sun for 30
days is to get the roses to give up their oils so the sugar can
absorb it.

Again, I think that sealing it is to keep the oils from escaping. A

tight-fitting lid or stopper is easy to achieve these days. But this
is a period recipe, so what would *they* have done to achieve a well
sealed container.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com